Welcome to our Transforming Assessment e-Course
Freely Accessible | Self-paced | Certificate of Completion
The course is ideal for professors, instructors, and graduate students looking to enhance their assessment practices for university and college teaching contexts.
This self-paced, professional learning e-course provides higher education instructors with the opportunity to transform their assessment practices – building on existing assessment knowledge and skills, reflecting on foundational assessment principles, exploring contemporary assessment strategies, and creating new assessments – to support students’ learning across disciplines and contexts.
The course uses a variety of resources and learning activities to engage you in transforming your assessment knowledge and practice, including interactive tasks, expert videos, a guided workbook, a planning framework, and curated resources. The course emphasizes moving from traditional paper and pencil assessments to authentic, alternative assessments of student learning.
- You can complete this e-course individually or collaboratively with colleagues.
- You can complete the whole course or individual modules or topics depending on your learning priorities.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply foundational assessment principles and e-tools to the design of an assessment plan
- Apply alternative assessment strategies to ensure alignment, authenticity, and transparency in assessment
- Apply assessment principles to practically and critically address dilemmas in student assessment
- Create “good” assessments for a variety of teaching contexts (in-person, blended, online) and students’ needs
- Integrate Equity, Diversity, Decolonization, and Indigeneity (EDDI) strategies in assessment planning and decisions
Licensing and Attribution
Except where otherwise noted, the content of this course is licensed under a Ontario Commons – No Derivatives License.
To cite this course, we recommend:
Transforming Assessment: Strategies for higher education [online curriculum] (2022). Funded by eCampus Ontario’s Virtual Learning Strategy in partnership with Queen’s University’s Assessment and Evaluation Group and University of Toronto’s Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. Retrieved from https://queens-aeg.ca/transforming-assessment/.
This course was developed by Queen’s Assessment and Evaluation Group (AEG) in partnership with the University of Toronto’s Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) and funded by eCampus Ontario’s Virtual Learning Strategy.